Birthdays come around every year, for us and for our canine companions. It’s a day we use to treat ourselves to all things delicious and fun, celebrating the mere fact we made it another 365 days around the sun. Whilst a day us humans will never forget to enjoy, it may come as a surprise to hear over half of all dog owners don’t celebrate their dogs special day. On the daily we’re treated to unconditional love, loyalty and affection from our pups, so why not return the favour by treating them to a dog approved dessert to celebrate all that is your furry friend on their birthday.
If you’ve already read our blog on where to find Auckland’s best pet cakes, you might be feeling slightly overwhelmed by the totally elaborate and deliciously gourmet, dog friendly cake offerings on the market. If it’s your pooch pals birthday, there’s no harm in heading to your local dog friendly baker to pick up a chicken flavoured cake. Whilst not exactly suited to our palate, it will be theirs and they will no doubt, love you for it.
However, if you’re a bit like us and love a good DIY project, you’ll be in the kitchen baking your own dog cake, just to make it that extra bit special. First step, source a fail-proof recipe. I mean, how hard can it really be? Well, we’ve done the hard work for you and have a dog cake recipe tried and tested, ready to share. You can totally mix up the ingredients to achieve the flavour combo you know your dog will love, otherwise follow ours for a showstopper cake, dogs will be drooling over. Check it out below.
You will need…
Dog Friendly Cake
½ cup Peanut Butter (smooth or crunchy – whatever your pup prefers!)
¼ cup Oil (canola or vegetable is fine)
⅔ cup Milk or Water
⅓ cup Sweetener – choose from Honey, Maple Syrup or Apple Sauce
2 ½ cups Carrot – grated
2 cups Wholemeal Flour
2 ½ tsp Baking Soda
Dog Friendly Fluffy Icing
600g Potato – peeled and cut into cubes
1 cup Yoghurt (plain unsweetened)
- Preheat the oven to 160C Fan Bake.
- Grease and line the base of 2 x 20cm cake tins.
- Whisk together eggs, peanut butter, oil, sweetener of choice and milk. It’s totally fine to have small lumps of peanut butter throughout the mixture!
- Stir in carrots. Then add flour and baking soda, stirring until JUST combined.
- Divide batter between the cake tins, smoothing out the surface.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack whilst making the icing.
- Place the potato in a pot of boiling water. Allow to cook until very soft. Once cooked, allow to cool thoroughly.
- Mix the potato and yoghurt with an electric beater until fluffy and smooth (it won’t be completely smooth but about 90 seconds on medium speed should do the trick).
- Use water as required to loosen icing to a soft, spreadable consistency.
- Once cakes are cooled, remove from the tin.
- Place the first cake layer on a plate. Spread with ¼ of the icing.
- Place the second cake layer on top and ice with top and sides with remaining icing.
- Top with any extra treats your dog loves! We like to use chopped bananas, a sprinkle of cinnamon and another drizzle of peanut butter or honey.
And there you have it, an easy to follow, minimal ingredient dog cake recipe. Now there’s really no excuse to not celebrate your pups special day.